Beef Kaldereta is a main stay in any Filipino Kitchen. It is a type of beef stew cooked with tomato sauce and liver spread. Ingredients such as potato, carrots, bell peppers, and olives are also utilized when cooking this dish.
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOK TIME: 1 hour
TOTAL TIME: 1 hour 10 minutes
SERVINGS: 6 people
✓2 lbs beef cubed
✓3 pieces garlic cloves crushed and chopped
✓1 piece onion finely chopped
✓2 cups beef broth
✓1 piece red bell pepper sliced
✓1 piece green bell pepper sliced
✓1 cup tomato sauce
✓½ cup liver spread processed using blender
✓1 teaspoon chili flakes
✓3 pieces dried bay leaves
✓2 cups potatoes sliced
✓2 cups carrots sliced
✓1/4 cup cooking oil
✓⅔ cup green olives
✓salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the cooking oil in the cooking pot or pressure cooker.
- Sauté the onion and garlic.
- Add the beef. Cook for 5 minutes or until the color turns light brown.
- Add the dried bay leaves and crushed pepper. Stir.
- Add the liver spread. Stir.
- Pour-in the tomato sauce and beef broth.
- Cook the beef until it becomes tender (about 30 mins if using a pressure cooker, or 1 to 2 hours if using an ordinary pot).
- Add potato and carrots. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Put the green olives and bell peppers in the cooking pot. Stir and continue to cook for 5 minutes more.
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Serve Hot. Enjoy!