When you put heat and crisp together, the combination is often a pleasant, exciting one for the taste buds. Perhaps this is where the popularity of a crispy fried chicken made spicy comes from. But what makes this revision even more special, is the perfect balance that you’re able to maintain among the flavors that fried chicken already has, just as well as the heat you are hoping to integrate.
With this recipe I am about to show you, the seasonings for our classic fried chicken dance well with the wild, spicy flavors of cayenne pepper powder. And this is at just the right amount to not distract from the naturally appealing taste of the meat, while providing a wicked punch to your chicken.
Prep Time: 8 hours
Cook Time: 14 minutes
Servings: 4 people
✓2 lbs. chicken cut into serving pieces
✓1 cup all-purpose flour
✓¼ cup cornstarch
✓1 teaspoon garlic powder
✓1 teaspoon onion powder
✓½ teaspoon ground white pepper
✓½ teaspoon baking powder
✓1 ½ tablespoons cayenne pepper powder
✓2 pieces eggs
✓½ cup water
✓3 cups cooking oil
✓2 cups water
✓3 tablespoons salt
✓3 sprigs rosemary
✓1 ½ cups ice cube
- Make the brine by boiling 2 cups water. Add salt. Stir until diluted. Add rosemary. Boil for 1 minute. Turn the heat off. Add ice cubes.
- Arrange chicken in a large bowl. Pour-in brine solution.
Cover the bowl. Refrigerate for 8 hours.
- Drain the brine solution and rinse the chicken by washing with water. Pat dry using a paper towel. Set aside.
- Make the breading by sifting the following ingredients in a large bowl: flour, cornstarch, baking powder, garlic powder, ground white pepper, onion powder, and cayenne pepper powder. Mix well using a wire whisk. Set aside.
- Make the batter by whisking 2 pieces of eggs on a separate bowl. Add ½ cup water. Continue whisking until well blended.
- Scoop around 35% of the breading mixture to the bowl where the eggs are. Whisk until the texture becomes smooth. Set aside.
- Dredge the chicken pieces in the breading mixture. Dip in batter and dredge once again on the breading. Arrange on a clean plate. Set aside. We are now ready to fry.
- Heat 3 cups of oil in a cooking pot. Once the temperature reaches 350F, deep fry the chicken pieces for 12 to 15 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165F. Note: it is best to fry in batches of 2 to 3 pieces at a time.
- Remove the fried chicken from the pot and place on a wire rack. Let excess oil drip.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve! Share and enjoy!