Sealant or Carnauba Wax or Paint Coating – What to Choose?
There is no universal solution to everyone’s needs and you need to decide what is best for you. The best product is the one that you enjoy and use often (or not so often as the case may be).
Sealants (Synthetic Wax)
- Last longer than carnauba wax. Typically lasts 4-6 months, with some even up to 12 months.
- Much easier to apply than carnauba wax. Some can even be applied in direct sunlight.
- Gives that slick, brilliant sparkle and hard-as-glass look.
- Excellent water beading or water sheeting property (depends on sealant design).
- The logical choice for daily drivers or busy detailers.
- Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant (Premium durability and wet-look shine)
- Meguiar’s Ultimate Wax (Long-lasting protection and deep, dark reflections)
- Meguiar’s NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0 (Most Popular)
- Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze (Best shine and ease of use) (Acrylic-based)
- Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection (Slick finish and incredible depth)
- Short lived protection. Melts and fades easily on hot days. Typically lasts 4-8 weeks.
- Usually harder to apply than sealants (synthetic wax).
- Gives that warm, deep, liquid look and shine that looks more natural.
- Beads water nicely, absorbs the acid content in rain, and hides minor swirls in the paint.
- The only choice for many enthusiasts and show car owners.
- Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax (When price is no object, best in class)
- Zymol Concours Glaze (Amazing show car shine)
- Sonax Premium Class Carnauba Wax (Another premium level wax)
- P21S Concours Carnauba Wax (Most popular)
- Collinite’s Marque D’Elegance Carnauba Paste Wax #915 (Paint friendly, classic genuine carnauba formula)
- Will not wash or wear off. Can last for 2 years or much longer.
- Provides a clear, hard coating that provides increased protection against the elements.
- Paint finish has to be properly prepared before application. Any blemish or contamination on the paint will be permanently locked in.
- Cannot be easily reapplied when slickness and protection begins to fade.
- The professional choice for permanent paint protection. No more waxing!
- Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 (Lasts for the car’s lifetime)
- GTechniq EXO Ultra Durable Hybrid Coating (Lasts up to 5 years)
- CarPro CQuartz and CQUK (Lasts up to 2 years)
Note: Coatings are scratch-resistant but they are not scratch-proof. Clear coat is far thicker than coatings.
Clear coat thickness = 38 to 63.5 microns (1.5-2.5 mils)
Coating thickness = 0.5 to 2 microns